CAN DOGS EAT SARDINES
Are Sardines Good For Dogs
Research has shown that Omega-3’s from a fish based source can have added benefit above and beyond those which are from a flax oil based source. Did you know that essential fatty acids, which are the Omega-3s and the Omega-6’s are an important part of a dog’s diet because their bodies can’t produce them.
What do sardines and other oily fish do for your dog’s health? The Omega’s promote normal growth, help cells function and help prevent disease. Deficiencies of essential fatty acids have been linked to heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
Do sardines help dogs with arthritis? Sardines have the Omega -3’s which can help with the prevention and management of arthritis. As dogs age and the collagen in their cartilage starts to degrade signs of arthritis is appearing. Providing sardines or other similar oily fish can help to treat the symptoms.
What is the benefit of sardines for my dog? Sardines are an important part of giving your dog the proper nutrition however there are added benefits which include:
- Improving the health of your pet’s skin and coat. Poor skin condition puts your dog at risk for itching, irritation, skin allergies and bacterial infections.
- Preventing certain heart problems in your dog.
- Slowing the growth of common yeast infections in your dog.
- Slowing the development and spread of certain pet cancers.
- Dogs who have allergies often benefit from sardines or other oily fish such as salmon and mackerel because the oils help alleviate the effects of allergies and other conditions that result from an over reactive immune system response.
- Lastly, sardines have the Omega – 3’s which help fight inflammation.
Here at Raw Dog Food Complete we offer whole fresh caught sardines and salmon. We like to stick with whole food sources for nutrition especially when it comes to the Omega-3s. We also offer a high quality Safe Sea product by Four Leaf Rover for customers who need other options.
How many sardines do I feed my dog? – I have a 50 pound dog and she gets approximately 3 whole fish a week.